Intuition is that deep inner feeling or hunch we have about something that we often can’t explain with any reason or logic.
According to Florence Scovel Shinn:
“Intuition is a spiritual faculty and does not explain, but simply points the way.”
Our intuition or as it’s sometimes called our “sixth sense” generally communicates with us through our feelings and emotions and is triggered through channels within our subconscious mind.
The important thing to remember is that everyone one of us is born with intuition. As children we use it all the time as we generally base all our decisions on our instincts. Why’s that? Simply because we don’t know any better.
However, as we grow older, our developed minds become more analytical, rationalized and logical. This all results in us neglecting and losing touch with our powers of intuition.
But don’t sweat. Just like any out of conditioned muscle in the body, your intuition can be exercised and developed back into prime shape in no time,
Below are some easy ways to develop intuition so you can become more connected with yourself and the universe as a whole.
1. Meditate. Calming your mind and slowing down your thoughts allow you to focus and help you develop intuition power. Light a scented candle, settle down on some soft cushions, and close your eyes. Try to stop thinking and just focus on the aroma from the candle. This exercise not only helps develop intuition but helps develop your senses, as well.
2. Get creative. When you express your thoughts through writing, drawing, painting, and other creative endeavors, you also build your intuition.
3. Listen to your subconscious. The more you pay attention to and have silent conversations with your inner self, the more you develop gut feeling. Take time regularly to sit down somewhere quiet and listen to the voice in your ear, feel the sensations in your gut, and see the images in your mind’s eye.
4. Do memory tests. Stimulating your brain helps develop intuition. Summon a memory of a random event in your life. Focus on this memory and try to recall the little details such as the color of the dress you were wearing, the weather, the smell of herbs on the table, the sound of traffic in the background.
5. You cannot develop intuition without taking care of yourself. Nourish your body with wholesome foods. Get enough rest and physical exercise. Nourish your mind with positive thoughts. Nourish your soul with prayer and good intentions.
6. Be active. Performing a physical activity on a regular basis can help develop intuition. This is because alertness in the body results in alertness in the mind. Try to stay active with activities such as swimming, tai chi, running, or walking.
7. There are many exercises to develop intuition. Here’s one that uses symbolic intuition: Get a sheet of paper and a pen. Sit down and focus on the question “What do I need in my life right now?” Ask yourself this question three times in a row. Pause after each question and try to imagine that you are moving towards a more profound answer every time you ask. After the third time, pick up the pen and draw a symbol on the sheet of paper. Interpret this symbol. Think about what it suggests you need to have or need to lose in your life.
8. Guess. Every day, use your intuition to try to answer questions about some simple observations. Keep an intuition notebook to record your experiences.
Practice on everyday things and ask questions such as: “Will the next traffic light be red, yellow, or green?” When the phone rings, ask yourself “Who is on the other line?” Try to do this for some time and you might be surprised by how accurate your guesses can be.
9. To develop intuition, try to solve a problem by doing this exercise:
Sit somewhere quiet and close your eyes. State the problem in your head. Visualize yourself walking in a sunlit path in the woods. You are walking up a hill. When you reach the top, you see that there is a beautiful lake. As you get closer to it, you see that there are huge, flat stones that you can step on to walk out into the water.
You hop from stone to stone until you reach the middle of the lake and then you lie down and look at the water. The glassy surface of the water suddenly becomes cloudy and in it appears a scene that holds the answer to your problem. Visualize this scenario until you figure out what it means.
Rediscovering your intuition will equip you with greater knowledge, a peace of mind, and a deep inner confidence to take action in your life so you can create your dreams.
Start to develop intuition today by practicing some simple but effective techniques that I’ve mentioned above.